Sunday, March 22, 2015

DIY Lipstick!

Hey everyone! Today I have another DIY for you. My daughter and I decided to try our hands at DIY Lipstick today. I am sure you have seen one of the posts on pinterest or even a video on youtube. Lets face it. This DIY has been everywhere. While everyone is claiming to give you awesome lip stick, I am going to give it to you straight. This is not Mac quality but its pretty decent. After some trial and error I was able to make a good lipstick out of simple household ingredients. 





Lets start at the beginning. My daughter has been begging me to try this and I thought it would make a nice post so we tried it today. I spend a few hours yesterday watching variations on how to make this "Lipstick". 

The most common recipe is 1/2 tsp of coconut oil and half a crayon. If you really think about it, you will see how this is just not going to work. The crayon is hard wax and coconut oil drys into a hard substance. When you make it this way, you basically just get a hard crayon again. Its not going to spread easily, it dries out your lips, and it looks horrible. Not to mention that I had to apply 5 coats over 15 minutes to get it to look even and pigmented. I don't know about you but I don't have time for that. 

Luckily, I looked at the ingredients in MAC lipstick yesterday. Having done my research on crayon lipstick, I decided I had better have a back up plan just in case.  The majority of the lipstick is wax: Bees wax, palm wax, candellia wax, and ozokerite wax. It also consists of jojoba oil, coconut oil, castor oil, alcohol, petroleum, vitamin E, Vitamin C, vanilla, and citric acid. Now when you look up the ingredients they will be shown by their scientific names, so you have to look each one up.  

Ingredient List: MAC.com

From this list I had on hand: Coconut oil, Castor oil, and Vaseline. As crayons are made of very hard paraffin wax, I decided I did not need to add any additional wax to it. 


Now for the tutorial:
*If you are a child please ask your parents permission and help with this project. 

What you need:

- Crayons (we used Crayola)
- Castor oil 
- Petroleum Jelly
- Coconut oil
- Small glass bowl- 4 pack from the Dollar Tree
- Frying pan
- Something to stir with- Serving forks from the Dollar tree
- Small containers to store the lip stick in




1. First pick out the crayons of your choice. Since I was making these with my daughter we made hers first.

2. Once you have your crayons picked out, peel off the paper on them. I used a small knife and cut down the crayon paper then removed it. Please be careful as the knife can slip easily.  After that we wrote the names down of the crayon colors so my daughter could keep them. 



3. Next fill your frying pan up with water a little under half way and turn it on to medium heat. I believe I used 4 on my gas stove. 



4. Next put your crayon, 1/2 tsp castor, oil and 1/2 tsp petroleum jelly into your glass bowl. Then place the bowl in the frying pan with the water. 




5. Once the Crayon, Petroleum Jelly, and Castor Oil begin to melt, mix them with the stirrer. You need to make sure you mix them very well so they will not separate after.  Now you may have noticed that I left out the Coconut Oil. The reason for this is that it was making the lipstick so hard you could not get any of it to pick up on a lip brush. So I stopped using it all together. 


This is my little helper stirring her lip shade. :)

6. This is what it should look like after a good stirring. After the test batch I used all 4 bowls at a time in the same pan. 


7. Now comes the trickiest part. I laid a paper towel down on my counter and placed my container on top to pour. I did find it was easier to hold my container in one hand and pour the wax with the other. I did grab the rim of the glass bowls with my bare hand, it was not very hot at the top. However if you are sensitive to heat please use an oven mitt. 



8. Now just repeat the process. Have fun and create unique colors by mixing and matching crayons. Over 3 hours I made 35 lipsticks in 23 shades. Here they are:


I got these small containers from our local craft store. They are paint pod's and where 2.98 for a 12 pack. 


These are 4 section pill holders. I got them from the dollar tree for $1. The come in a pack of 7. Each one has 4 pill holders in it and it also comes with a tray to keep all 7 organized. 


The swatches:  As you can see the colors are pigmented and will go on the lips like a tinted gloss with 1 coat and a full lipstick with 2-3 coats.  The best things about this lipstick are that its not greasy, feels wonderful on the lips, and it keeps your lips moisturized. 


  

Here is a swatch of my hand to give you a better Idea of what it will look like on your lips.  I had my hand in a fist in the picture. It looks much better when its not. I'm not sure why I took it that way. :P

***The colors will show up best when you use a lipstick brush. You will not be able to pull the same pigmentation with your fingers. 


I think this is a great way to get colors for costumes or Halloween that you don't want to pay top dollar for. If you guys give this a try send me a picture, we would love to see what you made! 

No comments:

Post a Comment